One on our biggest challenges is trying to find healthy foods that are easy to make and tasty. I have always wanted to make a kale salad because I’ve read about it’s health benefits ranging from lowering cholesterol to fighting against some types of cancers. But, I was afraid of this veggie because I didn’t know how to work with it. Then I found a wonderful recipe on Pinterest @jolynneshane. It has yummy cranberries, almonds and carrots and is dressed with a sweet/tangy honey balsamic vinaigrette.
I’m no magician in the kitchen, so I was pleasantly surprised when this came together quickly and easily and made enough for me to take into the office for a birthday celebration!
- 6 cups of chopped kale (I purchased 6 large leaves and pulled the curly ribbons from the stalk)
- 1 1/2 tbsp of Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup of dried cranberries (I used Ocean Spray Craisins)
- 3/4 cup of slivered or sliced almonds
- 1 cup of shredded carrot
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
Balsamic Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 1/2 cup of Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup of Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp of Honey
- 1 tbsp of Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Wash and dry your the kale.
- Pull the green curly leaves away from the stem. Throw the stems away, they are too tough to eat. Chop the leaves/ribbons into bite sized pieces. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and “massage” the kale for about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside for the moment.
- In a jar or contain with a lid, add the vinegar, oil, lemon, honey, salt and pepper. Shake well until fully blended.
- Add the cranberries, almonds and carrots to the kale and drizzle the vinaigrette over. Toss and enjoy!
Note: I actually enjoyed this better after it sat in the fridge for a bit. It gave the flavors time to mingle.
Nutrition(per 1 cup serving): Calories 247; Total Fat 14g; Saturated Fat 2g; Monounsaturated Fat 10g; Cholesterol 0g; Sodium 100g; Total Carbohydrate 29; Dietary Fiber 5g; Sugar 19g; Protein 5g (source of nutrition from http://www.myfitnesspal.com)
Original recipe found at @jolynneshane