As promise yesterday, I have a deliciously sweet and spicy dish for you. I found the original recipes on My Fitness Pal’s Blog and Pinterest and then modified them to fit my lifestyle and kitchen supplies ;-).
I love seasoned sweet potato fries! What’s not to like right? Sweet and salty at the same time and a good source of fiber! They also have less carbs and calories than regular potatoes. But here’s the thing…I have to stay away from fried foods. 😦 So I scoured the internet for a baked version. Here’s what I found out…If I want simple and easy, they are not going to be crispy. I’m okay with this, because as long as it has flavor, I can deal with them being a little on the soft side. These were very flavorful and relatively easy to make!
I like recipes that I can reduce or increase as needed. My husband and daughter don’t really like variety so I often have to make a separate meal for me. This recipe is for 1 medium potato, but the original recipe was for 2.
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Scrub the potato and slice it into strips about 1/4 inch wide (I do not own a very good knife so this was a little challenging but I did the best I could lol)
- Mix all the ingredients in a plastic, resealable bag and add the sliced potatoes. Seal bag and shake well until all the potatoes are well coated.
- Place the slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
Source for recipe: Gimme Some Oven Blog
I paired the sweet potato fries with honey mustard chicken breast. I love the blend of spicy mustard with sweet honey and spices. This was a very easy and tasty recipe. The original recipe was created for 24 ounces of chicken, but I only needed about 1/2 of that, so I modified the amount of the ingredients. I also didn’t include parsley because I didn’t have any handy.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/8 cup of honey
- 1/8 cup of spicy mustard
- 1/2 Tbsp of dried basil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1/4 tsp.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken breast, place in a baking dish, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture over the two breasts to coat.
- Place in oven and bake for 40 minutes.
Source for recipe: MyFitnessPal – Hello Healthy Blog