My daughter will do just about anything if I make these for her! There are only 3 ingredients and they are ready in about 45 minutes total time. I like to make them with baked pork chops as a sweet side instead of apple sauce, especially in the winter because it makes the house smell heavenly!
What you will need:
- A baking dish (I use a 5 x 5 deep dish for 3 medium apples)
- 3 or 4 medium apples (I like Macintosh)
- About 1/4 cup of light brown sugar
- About a tea spoon of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Clean,peal and slice your apples. (pealing is not necessary, my daughter just likes them that way)
- Sprinkle with cinnamon to lightly cover
- Add brown sugar
- Mix to coat
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in oven for 25-30 minutes.
Makes enough for 3 as a side dish.
Today, as I was trying to do 10 things at once because I had a day off and wanted to accomplish everything, I realize how easy it is to fall off course and accomplish nothing! No matter if it’s with your diet, household chores, your business, or any other part of your life… many people have a tendency to let things send them off on a detour.
Sometimes, it may be because we try to get too many things accomplished at once. We are, as a society, multitask oriented. We even raise our children to be involved in multiple activities which often times conflict with each other and our schedules!
Sometimes, we get distracted by something we discover. For instance, today I was cleaning out the guest bedroom and happened upon some old business cards… I got to wondering where are these people today? What did I do? I got right on social media and started to search for them. Before I knew it, 15 minutes had gone by and I hadn’t found anything out about them and was now 15 minutes behind in my schedule to get the room cleaned up and get my daughter from school on time!
Other times we get off course with things such as a diet or exercise. We tell ourselves there’s a great show on TV and missing one day of walking won’t really matter! Or boy that piece of chocolate cake looks really good, one piece won’t really matter. And you know what? Missing just one won’t really matter except often one time or one piece turns into many more I speak from experience, I have lost the same 6 pounds each month for the last six months!
Many things in life that are truly important require persistence and effort. They require a commitment! To help you stay on course in your life no matter what it is you’re trying to accomplish, Try these helpful tips:
- Remember the WHY, that got you started doing what you are doing. What was it that made you decide that this was important for you to do? Focus on that.
- Each day before you go to bed take five minutes and write down a plan for the three most important things you need to get done the next day.
- Set aside a specific time to get those things done and do not let distractions get in the way. If that means locking yourself in the bathroom to get away from the dog and the kids, then do it!
As promise yesterday, I have a deliciously sweet and spicy dish for you. I found the original recipes on My Fitness Pal’s Blog and Pinterest and then modified them to fit my lifestyle and kitchen supplies ;-).
I love seasoned sweet potato fries! What’s not to like right? Sweet and salty at the same time and a good source of fiber! They also have less carbs and calories than regular potatoes. But here’s the thing…I have to stay away from fried foods. 😦 So I scoured the internet for a baked version. Here’s what I found out…If I want simple and easy, they are not going to be crispy. I’m okay with this, because as long as it has flavor, I can deal with them being a little on the soft side. These were very flavorful and relatively easy to make!
I like recipes that I can reduce or increase as needed. My husband and daughter don’t really like variety so I often have to make a separate meal for me. This recipe is for 1 medium potato, but the original recipe was for 2.
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Scrub the potato and slice it into strips about 1/4 inch wide (I do not own a very good knife so this was a little challenging but I did the best I could lol)
- Mix all the ingredients in a plastic, resealable bag and add the sliced potatoes. Seal bag and shake well until all the potatoes are well coated.
- Place the slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
Source for recipe: Gimme Some Oven Blog
I paired the sweet potato fries with honey mustard chicken breast. I love the blend of spicy mustard with sweet honey and spices. This was a very easy and tasty recipe. The original recipe was created for 24 ounces of chicken, but I only needed about 1/2 of that, so I modified the amount of the ingredients. I also didn’t include parsley because I didn’t have any handy.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/8 cup of honey
- 1/8 cup of spicy mustard
- 1/2 Tbsp of dried basil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1/4 tsp.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken breast, place in a baking dish, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture over the two breasts to coat.
- Place in oven and bake for 40 minutes.
Source for recipe: MyFitnessPal – Hello Healthy Blog
Usually on Mondays or Tuesdays, I try to cook something new or make a healthier version of a favorite food. This week has already gotten away from me, lol. One thing I discovered in my mad rush to find something quick to eat for lunch yesterday was a new dish at Wawa. (For the readers who do not have a Wawa, it’s a chain of retail convenience stores in 6 states along the east coast.) Back to my discovery…it’s a Burrito Bowl!
It is offered in 4 varieties and allows customization. I chose the chicken without the cheese sauce. Ordered this way, it’s a pretty healthy option packed with protein and plenty of fiber (both from the black beans) and very tasty! Since I’m trying to lose weight and be more healthy, this was a great find!
Why am I telling you all this? It’s not because I’m working for Wawa or promoting their product. I’m simply saying that, if you find yourself on the run and needing to pick up something fast, look for healthy options. They’re out there!
Stay tuned…I’m making a delicious baked chicken dish tonight!
If you know me personally you will know what store I shop at the most! Target is like an oasis for me. Well when I get to go by myself it is. I easily find myself strolling down almost every aisle to see what is new or on sale. But my most favorite part is using my Target Cartwheel App.
What?!? You haven’t heard or you have heard but you might be confused how it works. If this is the case then you need to take a look! There has been 5 million downloads just on the the Google Play Store alone.
Are you worried it is complicated? Are you tired of clipping coupons? Read my tips below and see how easy it is for yourself.
Choose from hundreds of offers from across every category you could possibly think of. New offers are added regularly.
Scan your personalized bar code at checkout. You can either have this on your phone or you can print it out online and carry it like any other rewards card. I use my phone because while I shop I can see if that product is on there.
It really is that easy! Plus who doesn’t feel good when you see how much you can save using this app!
We went over how easy it is to use now let’s go over some tips to help you get the most out of it.
- Stack cartwheel with 5% Red Card discount (credit or debit), a manufacture coupon, target coupon, weekly sales, and a rebate offer. You probably have used manufacture coupons, target coupons, and weekly sales before but what are rebate offers. These are apps that allow you to scan bar code and receipt for after purchase rebates. There are so many to check out but my most favorite is Ibotta. I will go over these in another post.
- New Cartwheel offers come out on Sunday. What a great time to use the Sunday papers and save more. Now this isn’t a blanket statement. Cartwheel also add some special daily deals so it is smart to check it our daily. For example leading up to Christmas the Cartwheel App had a daily toy deal. This special deal was for one day only and was 50% off! I got so many amazing toys for my girls, nephews, and niece.
- Built in scanner. There is a built in scanner you can use with your phone camera. While you are shopping and you pick up something that you don’t have a cartwheel for yet, you can scan the bar code and it will search for you. BOOM!! YOU JUST ADDED MORE SAVINGS!
- Free Guest Wi-Fi. I like this because I use a lot of data shopping trying to get these deals. Added customer service bonus.
- Individual offers can be used up to 4 times per transaction and a bar code can be used up to 6 times per a day.
- Check out the collections tab for even hotter deals. In this section of the app you can find deal specific for your needs. For example: working out/living well, groceries, baby, and even one using the weekly circular for that week!
If you have any questions please comment below!! I would also love to know what your tips might be!
So often in this fast-paced busy world, we add unnecessary pressures to our already overpressured lives. Today was one of those days for me. I woke up doubting myself and my abilities so much that I wanted to crawl right back to bed! Thankfully, Tess sent me the image at the beginning of this post and it got me thinking…if we focus on the positive moments of a day and celebrate the successes, we create the right frame of mind to to move past the negative ones, turning them into opportunities to excel!
Comment with one positive thing you experienced today!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Yep! This about sums it up for us this year! We have goals, individual and team, that we will not put off any longer! Getting this blog going is the first of many things we will accomplish this year. We have been talking about it for almost a year and finally, one afternoon as a nor’easter approached, we sat down at a computer and brought it to life!
We are so excited to start this adventure and share all our milestones and successes with you! Join us as we share our healthy choices, fitness tips that we have put to the test, money saving tips, family fun ideas and tasty, healthy recipes that we have tried and and our families have loved!
So stop waiting! Join us today as we move forward through 2016 towards success, health and happiness!